Sunday, February 21, 2010

Mardi Gras at the Community Center

The Baker Community Center is open on Tuesdays from 10 am to 2 pm, and it's a fun place to stop by. I went last Tuesday and enjoyed the Mardi Gras celebration and a procession of people stopping by to visit and see what was going on.

Mardi Gras is Fat Tuesday, the day before Lent starts. Lent is the time proceeding Easter that traditionally involves fasting and moderation.

Carol made a variety of traditional Mardi Gras foods. Above is a King Cake, a sweetened yeast bread. The frosting colors of gold, green, and purple are traditional and represent power, faith, and justice, and date back to 1872. Inside each cake is a token, a bean or a little figure of the Christ child. Whomever finds it is said to have good luck for a year.

These beignets were absolutely delicious. In fact, I had to eat two! They are a yeast bread that is deep fried and covered with powdered sugar. Oh my, just thinking about them makes my mouth water.

Carol also made these pralines. I sampled these, too, definitely ruining my appetite for lunch. They were worth it!

Reita brought this scrumptious nut cake. I certainly wasn't expecting all these goodies when I went!

Every Tuesday there's something different going on at the Community Center, but one constant is good companionship, so come join the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment