Monday, February 22, 2010

Farewell but not goodbye

This will be my last posing on the Protect Snake Valley blog site as a guest blogger in my capacity as the Refuge Manager at Fish Springs. As there is a rather incredible grapevine in the valley, I suspect most know that I will be retiring from my capacity here later this month and will be heading to my sanctuary down Torrey way.

However, after spending nearly 20 years living in the West Desert, I can take the Refuge Manager out of the west desert but I can never take the west desert out of the retired Refuge Manager. The sense of solitude, the night winter stars, the serenade of coyotes twice each day, the incredible arrival of salt storms, the sense of community that stretched further than most could ever comprehend, and a myriad of other memories hewn from this unique landscape will always stay with me.

Over the coming years I will continue to follow the groundwater issue with great interest. While the efforts of Clark County to take Utah groundwater may be damaged, it is not a time to lose vigilance. As is evidence by the many other applications for groundwater out of the Great Salt Lake flow system, the great "West Desert Water Rush" is still alive and threatening.

I have come to very much admire the diligence with which the residents of the west desert have pursued and educated themselves regarding this issue. We have all had to have a crash course in Hydrology, Geomorphology, and Water Rights 101 so to speak. An educated and informed citizen is still the greatest danger to a politician.

I suspect I'll still show up in the west desert on a recurrent basis. As I tell friends about the many wonder of Fish Springs, Great Basin National Park, the Deep Creek Range and points in between, it will necessitate bringing many here to gain a first hand appreciation. If they can gain the passion we all have for our "Utah outback" then we will have gain advocates in our fight to save the livelihoods and the natural character of an incredible land.

Keep the faith, fight the good fight,and hang together. The MX battle showed us that it is possible to persevere against Goliath. This battle can be won as well and I've been proud to be a part and will continue to be an advocate.

1 comment:

  1. Jay, thanks for all you have done! We are going to miss you. Hope your post-West Desert life goes great and we look forward to having you come back and visit!

    ReplyDelete